Hello, summer! We’ve been dreaming about you, coming up with all sorts of plans and ideas to make this summer the best and most memorable one yet. We love to sit down with our kiddos at the beginning of summer and have everyone list off a few ideas of what they’d like to do while school is out. We’ve created an awesome list of our top must-do summer activities for families in Metro Vancouver, from bike rides to roller coasters. Check it out and start your own awesome summer to do list! Did we miss something you and your family do each summer? Let us know in the comments below.
July 21st, August 11th, August 25th, & September 8th, River District Town Centre, River District Crossing & Sawmill Crescent, Vancouver
Savour the summer this year at four awesome and free family-friendly festivals happening at River District Town Centre. The Savour Summer Festival features music, entertainment, kids events, with a grand finale block party hosted by Westminster Savings on September 8th. Catch shows by Paw Patrol, Bobs & Lolo, The Boom Booms, Her Brothers, Dr. Strangelove, and many more! Get full event schedules here. Join in on the fun, July 21st, August 11th, & August 25th from 4 pm – 8 pm, and September 8th from 2 pm – 8 pm. More details…
This summer, find family fun just up the road — Harrison Hot Springs is just a 90-minute drive from Vancouver and offers great outdoor activities for the entire family from hiking, biking, and paddling, to just hanging at the beach. The charming village also has hotels, motels, B&B’s and accommodations to suit every budget and restaurants and cafes sure to please big (and little) people. Summer is here and it’s the perfect time to enjoy a fun and memorable family getaway to Harrison Hot Springs. More details…
- Enjoy a beach day. Pack up the towels, sand pails, and sunscreen and head to the beach. There is no shortage of awesome, family-friendly beaches in Metro Vancouver, and we plan on visiting as many as we can this year. Here are a few of our favourites.
- Discover a new-to-you playground. We bet you’ve visited the playgrounds near your house dozens of times, so why not head further afield this summer and explore a new-to-you playground or two. Not sure where to go? Here are a few of our favourite playgrounds in Metro Vancouver.
- Plan a picnic. Grab a blanket, some snacks, a Frisbee, and head to your favourite park. We like to pack up a snacky lunch including cheese and crackers, peperoni, watermelon, and, of course, lots of water! Or kick it up a notch and pack along a grill to make your own hot dogs and burgers. Make it dinner and a show by picnicking at Kits Beach followed by a show at Kitsilano Showboat, or bring along your blanket and picnic basket to a Theatre Under the Stars performance.
- Go for a ride or a hike. Biking is our family’s favourite sunny day activity. We love exploring new trails and neighbourhoods on our wheels, especially now that our youngest can ride her own bike. Here’s a list of the best bike rides in Metro Vancouver for families. If your family isn’t into travel on two wheels, try a hike instead. There are plenty of family-friendly walks and hikes in Metro Vancouver, here are 5 of our favourite places to hike in the Lower Mainland with kids in tow.
- Take a (local-ish) road trip. We love exploring new nooks and crannies of Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. There are just so many different and unique corners to discover. Here are a few of our favourite day tripsand here you can find some awesome family adventure ideas, like exploring Bowen Island and our favourite spot to watch the sunrise. Looking for more fun outside of Metro Vancouver? Here are a few awesome ideas for summer road trips, all within a few hours of Vancouver.
- Go berry picking. Our kids gobble up fresh summer berries like they are going out of style. A visit to a Metro Vancouver u-pick berry farm is on our “must-do” list every summer. Blueberry picking is our favourite, but we’re hoping to branch out with other fruit this summer! Check out our guide to u-pick berry farms in Metro Vancouver.
- Throw a block party. We promise it isn’t as daunting as it sounds! Gather up some neighbourhood friends, ask everyone to bring a dish to share, set out some chalk, bubbles, and bikes for the kids, and let them go to town. It may just become an annual tradition. It has in our little neighbourhood!
- Enjoy an outdoor pool or water spray park. It’s the best way to stay cool, that’s for sure! Plus we love the fact that it’s relatively inexpensive (and sometimes free), so it’s not going to break the bank. Pack a picnic lunch and make a day of it! Check out our lists of water spray parks and outdoor pools in Metro Vancouver.
- Experience exhilaration. Head to an amusement park or water slide park for the day, throw your arms up in the air and scream as loud as you can! Playland and the PNE are, of course, the obvious option for roller coaster and amusement park fun, but there is also fun to be had at the Cultus Lake Adventure Park, BC’s newest theme park. You can also check out the water park at Cultus Lake, or head to Granville Island Water Park for free family fun. There’s the cool floating water park in Harrison Hot Springs, the English Bay Slide for adventurous ocean swimmers, and Big Splash Water Slide Park in Tswwassen (their new giant Boomerango slide is calling our names)!
- Have fun even on a rainy day. It’s a given that there will be a few rainy days throughout the summer, so we like to be prepared with blankets, pillows, popcorn, new movies, a few favourite books, and board games too. Or we dig out our raingear and brave the storm to enjoy a rainy day outdoors.
We hope this list has inspired you to have the best summer break ever.
By: Michelle Hughes
This round-up of great summer fun ideas for families is brought to you by some of our amazing sponsors and advertisers. Their support – and yours – is what allows us to keep yoyomama-ing!