Christmas is days away. If your ornaments are still in the basement and not one name is checked off your list, we have some last minute Christmas ideas for decorating, gift giving and party appetizers, that deliver big on holiday cheer in a shake of a reindeer’s tail.
image courtesy of the thinking closet
- Twine ball ornaments – Add rustic charm to your tree with this simple DIY project that the kids will love (it uses balloons and mod podge!). The best part is you probably have everything you need in your junk drawer. Get the full tutorial here.
- Jumbled light display – Avoid untangling a giant ball of lights and frustration this Christmas. Place them jumbled in a large glass vase or container for a fresh and easy light display. The warm glow will brighten up your mantel or bar cart as well as your spirits.
- Branch centerpiece – Luckily, winter floral arrangements don’t actually need flowers to be spectacular. Trim branches from your yard and place them in a large vase at varying heights. Sparsely hang some favourite ornaments for an elegant no-fuss arrangement.
image courtesy of Love Grows Wild
- Peppermint and coconut oil sugar scrub – Mele Kalikimaka! This heavenly blend will make you think of eating candy canes in the tropics: a perfect escape for any mom on your list. The ingredients are probably in your cupboards and the kids will be happy to lend a hand for measuring and mixing. Place in an attractive jar and wrap with ribbon or twine for some Christmas flair. Full recipe here.
- Brownies in a holiday jar – Brownies are decadent, indulgent and easy to make. Thus, a perfect holiday treat. Dress them up in a mason jar and paint the lid in Christmas colours for a personalized and tasty gift. Use your favourite recipe, omitting the wet ingredients or you can use this one from Hersheys. It produces a deliciously fudgy brownie.
holiday party appetizer
- Easy Tzatziki – When we’re stuck for an appetizer to bring to a last minute holiday party, we whip up this easy tzatziki. It has a few everyday ingredients and it goes with everything! See our recipe here.
- Baked Brie – This spectacular dish is surprisingly easy to pull off. All you really need is a wheel of Brie cheese. Simply place the Brie in an oven-proof dish (with sides), top with your favourite toppings and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the brie is ooey-gooey and melted. Serve with crackers or bread. Here are a few of our favourite toppings: chopped sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic & parsley, pesto, apricot jam and chopped nuts, or sliced apples.
With just days to spare you don’t have to feel like the gingerbread walls are closing in. We hope these tips and ideas make your Christmas extra festive, even if it’s done last minute.
Still looking for the perfect gift? We’ve got oodles of ideas in our holiday gift guide.
All done Christmas shopping and looking for something fun and festive to do with your family? Take a look at our ultimate guide to family-friendly holiday events in Metro Vancouver.
By: Alex Cubitt