Dinner: Candy Corn Pizza
Dinner on Halloween night needs to be fast, filling and easy, so maximum trick-or-treating can occur. We love making Candy Corn Pizza! This is the perfect recipe for even the littlest hands to help with, give them the job of sprinkling cheese or spreading sauce. But perhaps have them help before they put on their costumes!
Note: We’re including the dough recipe here because it does taste extra yummy, but for days when we need this pizza on the table ASAP, pre-made crusts are an easy “cheat” that still makes a great dish.
Ingredients for two medium pizzas:
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 package active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup mozzarella cheese
4 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup pizza sauce
- Combine water and yeast in a large bowl and let stand until the yeast is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, olive oil, salt, and sugar.
- Mix by hand for about 1 minute. Knead for about 5 minutes by hand until the dough is smooth and elastic. Using a dough hook on a stand up mixer works just as well.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly coated with olive oil and turn it once to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. About 1 to 1.5 hours, or do what we do and do this first thing in the morning then let it rise all day.
- Punch down the dough and divide it in half.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- One at a time, on a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, flatten each ball of dough into a 12-inch round. To prevent the filling from making the crust soggy, brush the top of the dough with olive oil. Use your fingertips to push dents in the surface of the dough, to prevent bubbling, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Top each pizza with ¼ of the pizza sauce
- Place half of the mozzarella cheese in the middle of each pizza in about an 4 inch circle
- Take ¼ of the cheddar cheese and sprinkle it in a 4 inch wide ring around the circle of mozzarella
- Spoon the rest of the pizza sauce over the ring of cheddar cheese
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese in a ring around the outside of the pizza sauce ring
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool briefly and then cut into pizza wedges, revealing the yummy candy-corn pieces.
This is just one of four spooky family-friendly Halloween recipes. Take a look at our other delicious eats to make with your family.
- Breakfast: Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Latte Oatmeal
- School Party Snack: Silly Apple Bites
- Sweet Treat: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies