The weather is already cooling, leaves have started to change colour, there’s no fighting it — fall is on the horizon. Whether you count down the days to sweater weather, or you’re mourning the end of summer, there’s no better way to embrace the season than by spending time with your family. Autumn is full of awesome things to do in Vancouver, from spooky Halloween activities to apple picking to hot chocolate sipping. Here are our top must-do fall activities for any family in Metro Vancouver.
Featured Fall Activities
SUMMER AIN’T OVER! Every Saturday from September 15th to October 27th, get ready to do a summer rewind and enjoy the best of the best Hollywood blockbusters from Summer 2018 and some favourites from the past – from the front seat of your vehicle with the return of the fifth-annual RIVER DISTRICT DRIVE-IN movie festival at Wesgroup’s River District neighbourhood in South Vancouver! Food trucks and other snacks will be on-site each night, so come hungry. Free popcorn will be provided by River District Town Centre’s newest tenant, Scotiabank. More details.
Harrison Hot Springs is a popular destination for Metro Vancouver families, and it’s easy to see why; it’s only a 90-minute drive from Vancouver and features beautiful beaches, relaxing hot springs, and a ton of family-friendly activities. But did you know it’s also a wonderful place to visit in the fall? Just because the seasons have changed doesn’t mean the fun stops! Enjoy festivals, fairs, hikes, bikes, and tons of autumnal fun, just a hop, skip, and a jump away. More details.
- Pick some apples.Filling baskets full of delicious Fuji, Gala, and Honeycrisp apples is a wonderful way to spend a fall day. There are two places in the Lower Mainland where you can pick your own apples, both located in Abbotsford — Taves Family Farm and Willow View Farms. If you aren’t able to make it to Abbotsford, head to your nearest farmers’ market. Lots of markets run well into October, and they are full of local apples, squash, and all sorts of other great autumnal produce.
- Go on a treasure hunt.A geocaching treasure hunt! Geocaching is a real-world, permanent treasure hunt that anyone can play. It’s a great way to get the entire family out of the house and having a ton of fun. Simply download a geocaching app (like Geocaching®) and you’ll see a ton of hidden treasures right on your doorstep. For first time geocachers, we recommend trying to find a cache that is in your neighbourhood or an area you know well. Check the notes for a cache that is big and easy to find. Take a look at our geocaching primer for more great tips. It may just become your family’s new favourite pastime!
- Sip your first cup of hot chocolate of the season. Hot chocolate is our go-to warm drink for fall and we love to try out new-to-us hot chocolate cafes. We bet you have a great one in your neighbourhood! Bundle everyone up, take a walk, and drink some yummy hot chocolate. If you don’t know where to find your nearest cup of steamy hot chocolate, check out five of our favourite places.
- Pick a pumpkin, get lost in a corn maze, or take a spooky ride on a haunted train. Join in on awesome Halloween Events and activities. The spooky fun starts early in October and lasts all month long. You can also make your own Halloween costumes. And don’t forget to make the time to decorate your pumpkins!
- Have fun, even when it rains. Fall tends to mean a whole bunch of rainy days. But don’t fret! Here are some of our favourite places to visit in Metro Vancouver when the rain starts to pour— like the Aquarium, a rock climbing wall, and a fun art studio. Looking to head further afield? Here are some great rainy day places to visit in the Fraser Valley. Don’t mind getting wet? Here are some great ideas on things to do outside in the elements, like jump in puddles, make a paper boat to set sail, catch raindrops, and rescue worms!
We hope this list has inspired you to start planning some awesome fall fun. What are your favourite fall activities? Let us know in the comments below.